Introduce yourself to the group.

This is the area where registered users can create new topics. I keep the other forums locked down, but this one is for you. -- Hanshi Clayton
Forum rules
I reserve the right to delete posts that I find offensive or objectionable. Other than that, have fun. -- Hanshi Clayton

Introduce yourself to the group.

Postby HanshiClayton » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:29 am

I hope each new member will take a moment to introduce himself to the group.

For instance, my bio is over here.

What arts do you study? What is your rank? How long have you been studying/teaching? Tell us something interesting about yourself.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Mashiro introduction

Postby Mashiro » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:58 pm

This message introduces N. Mashiro, author of the infamous Black Medicine books from Paladin Press.
Mashiro
Rokudan
Rokudan

Re: Introduce yourself to the group.

Postby colinwee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Hello. My name is Colin Wee. I started the martial arts with a mixed Chinese/Korean style in Asia, then moved to the States where I pursued Traditional Taekwondo and Aikido/Aikijujutsu. Altogether I have practiced three styles in the past 25 years and over three continents. In 2003, my passion for the arts waned as I realised many inconsistencies in syllabus and content of my style. I set myself on a path to understand what it was I was doing, and due to several influences (including input from Dr Clayton and his superb book) I have come to gain some insight and clarity, a good part of which coincides with separate findings by Dr Clayton and other sensei and sabumnin across the world. Currently the system I teach focuses on skill-based learning off a syllabus entirely based on the pattern set of Traditional Taekwondo. My classes are non-commercial, small and adult oriented. In a previous life I was a national representative and assistant national coach in Archery. I am based in Perth Western Australia. I hold a rank of 5th dan. There still remains lots to work on. Colin

ps. Good seeing you back online, Dr Clayton.
--
Colin Wee is the Principal of Joong Do Kwan in Western Australia, and a Board Member of AMAHOF Inc. Colin has recently published Breaking Through: The Secrets of Bassai Dai Kata. He has practiced three systems in three countries for four decades.
colinwee
Godan
Godan

Postby Andrewp » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:31 pm

There is not many that have introduced themselves.... that's a pity....I like this section of forums.

My name is Andrew Payne. You'll notice the spelling of Payne (not Pain) and it means heathen, or pagan from old English, Paynist.

I live in Morphett Vale (Adelaide) South Australia and have done Karate since my earlier teen years

I have finally reached the lofty heights of Godan and realise I have so much to learn about, not just karate but everything in general.

I won't bore you with to much of a genealogy because at my age the "Tatemae" and the "Honne" starts to get mixed up so suffice it to say I started as a white belt at around 39 with South Australian Karate and have continually and consistently trained until the present day. I have been teaching a number of years now and love teaching the more difficult students and seeing a change come about in there life.

I have always believed that Shotokan was not really for self defense but had much deeper meanings. When I first read Shotokan's Secret, never even thinking they had guns or that Commodore Perry ever went near Okinawa, changed not the way I viewed kata, but the reasons for them.

I have already read articles here of things I do that I never put a thought to or a name. My wife dismays at my nocturnal actions and strange driving habits along with all the backfists to the columns in shopping centres.

look forward to reading many more and to post occasionally. :D
Andrewp
Godan
Godan

Postby chujoCKA » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 am

Hi Everyone :)

Nice to meet you all here. My Country is Ireland. I started off my career with amateur boxing then moved on to Judo. In 1971 I joined a local karate club. The style taught was Shotokan. After 1 year the club folded but by that time I was hooked on karate so I seached for other karate clubs. I found a Wadoryu club and I have been a student since then. I represented my Country at International level in kumite and enjoyed it. However I was not satisfied with what kumite had to offer in the context of a street confrontation.
That led me into a study of the kata applications and since then I have digested the teachings of various teachers. As well as boxing, Judo and karate I have also studied Tai Chi. Fifteen years ago I formed the Chujo Karate Association. We have 400 members. Two thirds of the membership are children. I have a hugh library of martial arts books, video's and dvd's. It goes without saying that I have my copies of 'Shotokan's secret' and now also the expanded edition. Dan Redmond.[color=#0000FF]
[/color]
chujoCKA
Nanadan
Nanadan

Postby rancooper » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 am

My name is Randy Cooper. I teach Tang Soo Do(TSD) in Walkerton Indiana. TSD does not have a tradition of Bunkai. TSD is a Korean version of Shotokan. Apparently Hwang Kee must have learned the KATA from the Japanese for whom he worked during Korea's occupation but never was shown the Bunkai. As a result TSD teaches Self-defense separate and unrelated to the Kata. When I started studying outside my art, I was amazed that the Kata were so rich in self-defense techniques. I was also surprised to learn my art was really Japanese and not Korean at it's heart.

I really liked, "Shotokan's Secret". For me, it answered so many questions, even some I didn't know I had.
rancooper
Shodan
Shodan

Postby ujwa2@comcast.net » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Hello, My name is Mike Sullivan. I am a Yondan in Shotokan Karate and also hold a black belt in San Ten Jujitsu. I also have some training in Tai Chi Chun, Kudodo,Tae Kwan Do and a little Judo. I am the senior instructor under Kyoshi Justin Butler in the Golden Eagle Shotokan Club in Denver Colorado. I am the Assistant Instructor in Colorado for the San Ten Jujitsu Association also under Soke Butler. I have met and trained with Kyoshi Clayton, as well as a number of the other San Ten Sensei's, quite a few times over the last 10 years.
I feel that in a small way I may have contributed to Shotokan's Secret in being a Uke in many many sessions while Soke went over possible applications for the benefit of Dr. Bruce. Kyoshi Clayton now has many students to practice on, and I am grateful.
I also have met and trained with the "New Jersey" group that has been mentioned several times. I unfortunately missed the Kai camp this year due to business commitments, but will return in the future.
I also have met Sensei Simpson and had a wonderful discusssion with him at a Mariposa Seminar.
I feel privilaged to have met up with Bruce and the other like minded Martial Artists. The San Ten Association and the United Kai both have a wealth of knowledge. I believe that we need to question and expand our Art(s) past what is confortable. That is why I signed on to this website and look forward to the discussions.
I am not a Martial Arts Instructor by trade. I am a General Contractor and own a remodel company in the Denver Area.
ujwa2@comcast.net
Yondan
Yondan

Postby HanshiClayton » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:10 am

I feel that in a small way I may have contributed to Shotokan's Secret in being a Uke in many many sessions while Soke went over possible applications for the benefit of Dr. Bruce. Kyoshi Clayton now has many students to practice on, and I am grateful.

I have video clips of Justin demonstrating San Ten Jujutsu techniques for me at a high-school cafeteria in Vallejo, CA. Faithful sempai Mike Sullivan was dutifully taking the falls... on a linoleum floor. Linoleum over concrete slab. That's dedication.

Mike and I look a lot alike, so much so that people get us confused. We intend to maximize this effect the next time we get together. Woe to the uninitiated!
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby PeterKa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:59 am

Hello!

My name is Peter. I'm 32 years old and live in Europe/Austria.
I studied Judo when I was a kid, which helped me quite a lot when the higher classes at school thought they had to bully us. ;)
As a teenager I got interested in Thai Boxing, but since I live quite away from the next bigger town, I never "really" learned it. With 21 I started Shotokan at a local Club - they had been quite successful with Kata at an international level. Then, when my son got born, I took a break and didn't think about martial arts for some time, until I saw some people doing Wing Chun near to my son's Kindergarden. I got hooked and did "Leung Ting Wing Tsun©" for over three years now, until the school got closed (not enough "customers" on the contryside).
In the meantime my son became interested in Martial Arts too, and when he began Shotokan at a local Club (which is VERY child friendly. Our sensei really has a hand for the kids!) I also came back to Shotokan Karate.

Currently I hold a 3rd Kyu in Shotokan Karate, based on the guidelines of the Austrian Karate Assoc., whatever that means. The grades in Wing Tsun (Wing Chun) and Judo are not worth to mention, I guess.

Of course - I read the books by Kyoshi Clayton and I share the thoughts, which sometimes makes me a "heretic" within our class, but they tolerate it. ;)

After recognizing, that I seem to be one of the few Kyu degrees on this board, I feel a little humble.
Please be patient with me, I still have a lot to learn and English is not my mother tongue.

Rei,
Cheers,

PeterKa
Shodan since 1.10.2017
PeterKa
Student
Student

Postby Katsumoto » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:30 am

Hi Guys,

I am Brazilian, 49 years old and Stan Schmidt´s Student. Actually living in Brazil where a Run my own Karate Dojo.
I hope we can have a very nice conversation about our beloved Martial Art.
Since I finished reading Mr. Clayton´s Excellent book I became his fan.

All the best in karate do. Oss!! :D

Roberto Sant´Anna
Katsumoto
Rokudan
Rokudan

Next

Return to Roundtable Forum