Shotokan's Secret Book Club

This is the area where registered users can create new topics. I keep the other forums locked down, but this one is for you. -- Hanshi Clayton
Forum rules
I reserve the right to delete posts that I find offensive or objectionable. Other than that, have fun. -- Hanshi Clayton

Re: Shotokan's Secret Book Club

Postby colinwee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 pm

The "revised and expanded" second edition of Shotokan's Secret has been turned over to the editors of Black Belt Publications. It is expected to be in print before summer, 2010.

I think this is going to be the first time in my life that I'm going to buy the second edition of a book that I already own!

Colin
--
Colin Wee is the Principal of Joong Do Kwan in Western Australia, and a Board Member of AMAHOF Inc. Colin has recently published Breaking Through: The Secrets of Bassai Dai Kata. He has practiced three systems in three countries for four decades.
colinwee
Godan
Godan

Postby HanshiClayton » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 am

Colin, it is certainly the first time I have ever written one!

I have the "almost final" version on my desk. It goes to the printer in ten days. I'm checking and rechecking everything... Going blind. :shock:
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby colinwee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 am

Dr Clayton

Just finished reading Shotokan's Secret Expanded Version. It was like reading the Da Vinci Code, I liked it that much! Of course, my hope is that it attains a similar level of success in martial arts circles.

As you know, I've completed a book review for Amazon, my writeup is located at http://www.amazon.com/review/R198RTF9HN08M2/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm.

I'm looking at the heian applications you've showcased and am comparing them to my own Bassai-Tekki-Aiki experience. I'm looking forward to showing you some things you might find interesting. Now to look for some props ... and a hapless volunteer.

So how about a DVD series?

Colin
--
Colin Wee is the Principal of Joong Do Kwan in Western Australia, and a Board Member of AMAHOF Inc. Colin has recently published Breaking Through: The Secrets of Bassai Dai Kata. He has practiced three systems in three countries for four decades.
colinwee
Godan
Godan

Postby milmascaras2 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:16 am

Dr. Clayton, I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I ask "When is the next book coming out?" If I may suggest, perhaps the Nei Han Chi kata under the same format as the Ping An's, I would love to see your take on these ubiquitous kata.
milmascaras2
Shodan
Shodan

Postby HanshiClayton » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Pushing a book like Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition out into the world is a lot like having a baby. It's a wonderful experience, but it leaves you in a state where doing it again just isn't high on your agenda.

My ambition would be to someday publish a second volume about Tekki (Nai Han Chi), Empi, the Temple Katas, Bassai Dai and Kanku Dai. The research for Empi is done... no doubt what is in that kata at all... but for the others it is barely started. The beginning of that road is a much deeper look at Chinese forms. The books are sitting here. I still can't bring myself to open them.

Eventually.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby milmascaras2 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:07 am

Hello Dr. Clayton,
That's quite an impressive list of material to cover! The entire Shuri Crucible curriculum in one fell swoop. I'm glad to see that you've considered a basic outline, that is good news. We'll eagerly await the "new baby".
Saludos
milmascaras2
Shodan
Shodan

Postby Andrewp » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:31 am

Has anyone suggested a DVD set....I'm sure it would be as interesting as your narrative in the book.
Andrewp
Godan
Godan

Postby HanshiClayton » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:55 pm

If I live long enough, a DVD is inevitable. I need to do more research first. Meantime, life is full of distractions, and I am still recovering from the strain of the second edition. The new edition of the book was the first thing on my agenda for nearly two years. Lots of things got dropped in the meantime. I'm still cleaning up.

BDC
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Philip Sneyd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 am

Pushing a book like Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition out into the world is a lot like having a baby. It's a wonderful experience, but it leaves you in a state where doing it again just isn't high on your agenda

What a perfect statement! Read it again with a Woody Allen accent in your mind, and you'll find a comic quip the Woodster himself would be proud of. :D
Philip is an Irishman based in Japan, where he has been living and training in Kyokushinkai Karate for almost 10 years. He holds a shodan 1st degree black belt and opened a small branch dojo in Tokyo in 2009. He is a big fan of the book Shotokan's Secret.
Philip Sneyd
Shodan
Shodan

Postby HanshiClayton » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:58 pm

They knew the history of their community, in the way that modern Americans know the history of World War II. Facts, dates, a few faces, but we didn't live through it and it isn't real to us.

They didn't know the applications of the Shuri-te katas. They were born after the end of the monarchy into a world where karate was viewed as subversive. Itosu taught them the dances and kept mum on the applications. Like our discussion of the "bloodthirsty Heians," the children of the new generation would only get into trouble practicing techniques intended for killing Japanese soldiers. The Japanese had just fought a civil war to wipe out the samurai, and would not have been amused.

BDC
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Previous

Return to Roundtable Forum