Kata. Why?

This is the area where registered users can create new topics. I keep the other forums locked down, but this one is for you. -- Hanshi Clayton
Forum rules
I reserve the right to delete posts that I find offensive or objectionable. Other than that, have fun. -- Hanshi Clayton

Kata. Why?

Postby GNARL04 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 am

After reading Shotokan's Secret and understanding the bunkai of the kata and the founding of Shotokan, I started to wonder why kata exists in the first place. Why were they created and arranged to hold various concept, tactics, and techniques within them? Fighting systems created recently use no such thing to my knowledge. Would be great to find a perspective on this.

Vlad.
GNARL04
Nidan
Nidan

Re: Kata. Why?

Postby HanshiClayton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 am

I believe that kata exist because written descriptions of martial techniques were not practical, probably for three reasons:

• I can bear witness that it is very difficult to describe martial motions in writing, and I think it would be even more difficult to do it using Kanji. Funakoshi's first attempts to describe kata movements in writing were terribly inadequate. It may have just worked better to teach students a dance instead.
  • Add to the above the fact that most people would not read and write, and written instruction became even less practical. Everybody could dance, whether literate or not.
  • In at least two situations (Okinawa under Japanese rule, and China after the Manchu invasion), being caught with a martial-arts manual would have been a deadly mistake. Dances were more secure than written manuals.

Certainly the practice was widespread in both Okinawa and in China.

Note that "recent fighting systems" are documented using technology that is very new compared to karate. Specifically, modern fighting manuals rely heavily on photography, and the even-more-recent ability to reprint photos in books. And of course we use digital video now, which is somewhat new even to us. The ancient masters didn't have any analogous means of illustration. Illustrations of martial technique from the period are weirdly stylized and not very informative.

So, basically, dances worked better as a vehicle for preserving and transmitting knowledge.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: Kata. Why?

Postby PLopresti » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:37 am

He was dancing. Choki motobu criticized master funakoshi publically for teaching "imposter" karate. Which to me means his version was merely a form of physical education which he was paid to do by the university. There's a lot of published material on this.
PLopresti
Godan
Godan

Return to Roundtable Forum