Forgotten archery

This is the area where registered users can create new topics. I keep the other forums locked down, but this one is for you. -- Hanshi Clayton
Forum rules
I reserve the right to delete posts that I find offensive or objectionable. Other than that, have fun. -- Hanshi Clayton

Forgotten archery

Postby HanshiClayton » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Have you folks seen this YouTube video of Lars Anderson, ancient-archery expert?

Reinventing the fastest forgotten archery.

He makes Legolas look lethargic.

Now presuming it isn't CGI :roll: , how the heck does he do that? The video doesn't show us.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: Forgotten archery

Postby JoelDeschenes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:51 pm

I did some research and the video is ligit. I have my doubt about the 'forgotten ancien technics', I think this is just a guy that have an out-of-the-odinary eyes/hands coordination. Most people cannot hit a target using a hand rifle, some people can without even aiming (like in western movie). Pratice, adaptive technic and special talent == good video. What you will not see in the video is how many time he had to try to get those impressive shots.
Joel Deschenes
Karate Shotokan Cantley
JoelDeschenes
Sandan
Sandan

Postby HanshiClayton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:49 pm

I have tried flight shooting, and could barely get the third arrow nocked before the first was back on the ground. This guy can put eleven arrows in the air in rapid succession before the first hits the ground.

So yes, he has eliminated some extraneous motion. That's not the point. The point is: How do you hold eleven arrows in your right hand at the same time, and then nock and loose them at the rate of about three per second? That's not a question of eye/hand talent. That's a trainable technique that the video didn't reveal.

I must know MORE! (Maniacal laughter.)

Darned impressive performance.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby colinwee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 am

gilliancompo wrote:Have you tried connecting with him on face book and asking him how he does it, I am sure he would be happy to share his talent (or whatever one wishes to call it) with you?

I was a national representative for about 9 years and an assistant national coach for a year and a bit in Archery. I sent the video to my dad who remains an influential coach and a world renown dealer in archery goods. He just said the guy had 'good reflexes'.

Hey, I've got good reflexes but can't shoot like that. If you find out how to, I'd be very interested to know how it's done.

Colin
--
Colin Wee is the Principal of Joong Do Kwan in Western Australia, and a Board Member of AMAHOF Inc. Colin has recently published Breaking Through: The Secrets of Bassai Dai Kata. He has practiced three systems in three countries for four decades.
colinwee
Godan
Godan

Postby HanshiClayton » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Let me advance a hypothesis, Colin: It think he is nocking the arrow against the underside of the bow. He's using his thumb as the arrow rest.

That isn't all, by any means, but it's part of it.

The other people who have aired "speed archery" videos on YouTube look like glaciers in comparison. Best is the red-haired girl who shoots like Legolas -- slightly better than one arrow every two seconds. Some of the others, four seconds between shots or more.

I guess "speed" is relative.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby colinwee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:20 pm

KyoshiClayton wrote:Let me advance a hypothesis, Colin: It think he is nocking the arrow against the underside of the bow. He's using his thumb as the arrow rest.

My guess is he's holding the extra arrows on the same side as the shooting arrow, and he's turning his hand so that the back of his knuckles face him, and the thumb (which draws the string) is closer to the ground.

Colin
--
Colin Wee is the Principal of Joong Do Kwan in Western Australia, and a Board Member of AMAHOF Inc. Colin has recently published Breaking Through: The Secrets of Bassai Dai Kata. He has practiced three systems in three countries for four decades.
colinwee
Godan
Godan

Return to Roundtable Forum