'Teaching' Karate

This is the area where registered users can create new topics. I keep the other forums locked down, but this one is for you. -- Hanshi Clayton
Forum rules
I reserve the right to delete posts that I find offensive or objectionable. Other than that, have fun. -- Hanshi Clayton

Re: 'Teaching' Karate

Postby HanshiClayton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:28 am

The common wisdom is that shodans do not have the depth of experience to teach karate properly, and usually do not have the skills to cope with students, either. It is more usual to consider a sandan rank as the minimum for opening a school.

However, circumstances alter cases. I had been a shodan for one month when my sensei handed me the keys to the dojo and drove off into the sunset. I was aware of my many limitations and turned immediately to the head of our organization, Master Cruz. Since I was in a remote location with no other Shotokan sensei available, he put me in charge to keep the dojo open. He promoted me to nidan on the spot, and set me on the path to sandan. Within three years I tested for sandan and settled in to a long career leading a tiny dojo in a remote mountain valley.

So, I would say that others have had this experience, yes. The fact that shodans are not ready for it is still true, but sometimes it isn't the most important part.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Return to Roundtable Forum