Ping An Yon Dan Tomonage

This is the area where registered users can create new topics. I keep the other forums locked down, but this one is for you. -- Hanshi Clayton
Forum rules
I reserve the right to delete posts that I find offensive or objectionable. Other than that, have fun. -- Hanshi Clayton

Ping An Yon Dan Tomonage

Postby milmascaras2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:09 am

Hello Dr. Clayton,
I have a question regarding Ping An Yon Dan, using Sugiyama's numbers, steps 12-15, would a tomonage throw be an appropiate historical alternative to the bunkai described in your book? I ask because given your views regarding ground fighting, a sacrifice throw may not have been contemplated by the Shuri masters, yet the moves lend themselves to teach the technique as such. Young men love the throw by the way!
Thank You
milmascaras2
Shodan
Shodan

Re: Ping An Yon Dan Tomonage

Postby HanshiClayton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:28 pm

If it works for your students, who am I to say no? You have gripped the opponent with both hands and the kick could place the sole of the foot on the samurai's breastplate. That's most of tomonage. Sit down and flip.

I'm picturing a fully-armored samurai flying through the air and landing on his back, accompanied by the sound of a whole closet of pots and pans hitting a sidewalk. You don't have to grab his lapels. Grabbing the top of his cuirasse will do.

BDC
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Return to Roundtable Forum