Hakama pants - For hiding leg movements?

Hidden truths about karate.
Forum rules
You may visit as a guest and read everything. You may register and post messages. I reserve the right to control site content. -- Hanshi Clayton

Hakama pants - For hiding leg movements?

Postby HanshiClayton » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:58 pm

I just visited the Century Martial Arts website and looked up hakama pants. We use them as ceremonial dress in the ISKA Black Dragon society meetings. I was checking current prices.

The web page said: "Pleated style historically worn by the Samurai to hide leg movements and give the illusion of floating."

Hakama were chaps, historically worn by the samurai to keep horse sweat off of their delicate silk clothing.

Some time ago I got fed up with the eight-foot-long straps and the intricate instructions for tying the knot in front. I cut off the straps and sewed on velcro instead. I am the envy of all my friends. I used the extra strap material to create an eight-pointed knot (the ISKA logo) that I just slide on in front.

At our most recent Black Dragon meeting, my hakama was slipping a bit, and another sensei had a real problem with his hamaka dropping down around his knees. I looked on the internet, and sure enough, it is possible to buy "black dragon suspenders." We are now all equipped with this useful hakama accessory. ;)

Tradition is not a suicide pact. We don't have to do things the stupid way just because the Japanese never invented belt loops for their trowsers.

And I don't know why anyone would think that a hakama hides leg movement. Wishful thinking there.
Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
This forum is supported by the sales of Shotokan's Secret, Expanded Edition
HanshiClayton
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: Hakama pants - For hiding leg movements?

Postby milmascaras2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am

Hi Dr. Clayton, I recently watched a "modern" version of the Japanese classic '47 Ronin', starring Keanu Reeves. I could not help watching it with 'Shotokan's Secret' eyes! The hakama as you say a pragmatic piece of clothing turned ceremonial, in one scene , thorough special effects, there is a character "floating", perhaps this is where the myth got started, as a stage effect from the classic theater. Also of note , the samurai armor with all it's kinks, the ubiquitous 'shomen uchi', as well as the spear forward thrust from foot soldiers, and 'tengu'! I didn't realize how much your book has influenced my perceptions.
Thank You
milmascaras2
Shodan
Shodan

Return to Essays about Karate